Police kill man who could be Barcelona attack fugitive: Source

Partager

Abouyaaqoub was believed to be the lone attacker on the run by Sunday, but authorities hadn't confirmed his identity because they were having difficulty identifying the remains of at least two extremists who died Wednesday in an explosion at a house in Alcanar where explosives were being prepared. His brother was one of the five radicals shot dead Friday by police after a vehicle attack on pedestrians in Cambrils.

Please see the update at the bottom of this post.

Yassine told The Washington Post that he had given Essati's name to local police more than a year ago as part of standard security protocol to keep a closer eye on Muslim preachers. More than 100 others were injured.

A French national, originally from the city of Grenoble, he had been undergoing psychiatric treatment in Marseille. The suspect also had knives in his possession when he was shot, said José Lluís Trapero, head of Catalan police.

It was not immediately clear whether the reports referred to a single incident or two incidents which may or may not be related. Over the weekend, authorities had said they could not be certain that he was still on Spanish soil. "He finished his sentence and went free".

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack and a separate deadly assault, hours later, in the coastal resort of Cambrils, south of Barcelona.

However, following the shooting, Spanish police said the international probe into the Barcelona attack remained open.

Younes Abouyaaqoub, alleged terrorist who drove a van into crowd in Barcelona, Spain. The imam reportedly brought the future attackers under his influence in Ripoll, eventually radicalizing them. Several of the suspects including Abouyaaqoub had grown up or lived in the town. Police in Spain have managed to roll up the radical Islamist terror cell that committed coordinated attacks in Catalonia and Barcelona, but they missed the main perpetrator.

Later in the afternoon, the Catalan police confirmed the man has been in fact killed.

Police in Catalonia launched an appeal for information about the fugitive, Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, who is believed to be the last remaining member of a 12-man cell.

"So another imam was found to replace him at the mosque, but a few days before the attacks, he was seen in Ripoll", added the source, who also has family in the small town.

Abouyaaqoub was suspected of driving the van that ploughed down the Las Ramblas promenade.

Abouyaaquob fled the scene by stealing a car, killing the driver, and escaping with the driver's body still in the vehicle.

Echoing what acquaintances of terrorist suspects often say, neighbours told reporters Abouyaaqoub had seemed polite and withdrawn, showing no obvious signs of radicalisation, and had been working as an electrician.

Spanish media outlets say he had spent some time in prison, and had met prisoners involved or linked with the 2004 Madrid train bombings in which 191 people died.

In the group's expanded statement on the Barcelona attacks, for instance, the text notes that the attackers "stormed a bar with their light weapons near Las Ramblas square, torturing and killing the Crusaders and Jews inside".

Partager