Barcelona Attack Suspect 'Still On the Loose' As Manhunt Enters Second Day

Partager

The 12-person terror cell has since been declared dismantled, although one suspect is still on the run.

Weeping relatives of the perpertrators of the deadly attacks marched into a Ripoll Square on Saturday, tearfully denying any knowledge of the radical plans.

He then drove through a police checkpoint before abandoning the car with the driver's body still inside. He is also the presumed leader of the Islamic extremist cell that carried out the attacks. This has not been officially confirmed.

FRANK LANGFITT, BYLINE: Yes, it's Ripoll.

In addition to the five people killed in Cambrils, police said they arrested two people Friday, after two arrests a day earlier. The message was a vital one: incidents of this kind, however horrifying, must not destroy a way of life.

Until this week's spate of attacks, 54 people had been arrested this year on suspicion of terrorist activity in Spain, where the threat of returnees from Syria is deemed relatively small. There has recently been fierce debate about the impact so many visitors have on the local life of Barcelona. Another attack killed one person and injured others hours later in the seaside town of Cambrils. Following the incident, the area around the incident was reportedly cordoned off, leaving several ambulances and police vehicles on the scene.

"They lived like the young people of their age, dressed like them", the father said.

Yesterday, August 18, a video surfaced on social media showing a Moroccan woman and her brother in conflict with Spanish police at the Barcelona airport.

Two other Italians were among the 14 dead: Bruno Gulotta, 35, and Luca Russo, 25. Interior Minister Zoido said the country would nevertheless reinforce security for events that draw large crowds and popular tourist sites.

Islamic State's Amaq news agency said the attackers acted "in response to calls for targeting coalition states".

Police said three of the detained suspects are Moroccan, and one is a Spaniard.

Spanish and French authorities said they also were combining forces to search for a possible ringleader of the alleged cell, the Associated Press reported. The street forms Barcelona's historical centre, tracing the lines of an ancient seasonal watercourse visible in old maps.

Citizens of 34 countries were caught up in the atrocities, including Ireland, England, Spain, Germany, Australia, Canada, the United States, France and China. The Catalan police also requested people to stay away from the affected area. Many left flowers and candles in honor of the victims. The precious metal was up 0.7 percent at $1,300 an ounce. I don't believe (the Surgut stabbings) have anything to do with IS, " he told Govorit Moskva radio station. "He was desperately loved by us all and will be dearly missed", Wilson's statement read.

Partager